Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Day 3, late: Drowned In Books, Garlic

Good meals had: 2
Books in progress: 3
Spent a leisurely kind of morning. Had some breakfast at a cafe that involved bacon and eggs, then wandered around shops for a while. Tanja got some earrings and some clothes and then I thought, it being my birthday, I’d get something for me. So I found this Hawaiian surf shop. Found a blue-and-gold Hawaiian shirt and a pair of boardies. Authentic. Went to the beach so Tanja could read (she bought Romulus, My Father since we had seen the film) on the beach. I had no book with me, so I bought my third in-progress book of the trip (I left when I was halfway through The Witches of Chiswick by Robert Rankin and bought Silent Bob Speaks! By Kevin Smith for the trip. Today, I bought The Whiskey Robber: A True Story of Bank Heists, Ice Hockey, Transylvanian Pelt Smuggling, Moonlighting Detectives and Broken Hearts by Julian Rubinstein. I was a full chapter in before I realised it was a true story! I don’t read true crime! It’s for savages! Despite suddenly encroaching rain, Tanja and I went for dinner at The Balcony Restaurant. Got tapas. Stuffed ourselves with multitudes of food (garlic prawns with chorizo, beef skewers with cornichons, mushrooms stuffed with stuff) and wine (champagne, pinot gris, shiraz viognier and port). Saw cane toads on the way home. Little buggers wouldn’t move, even when I threatened them with my umbrella. Oh! That reminds me. I saw my first wild frog in like 6 years last night. Not a cane toad. A frog. It was weird. I didn’t think it was an odd thing to see a frog. And Tanja and I were going to watch 30 Rock yesterday. I had talked Tanja into it. Then I realised I had removed it from my iPod before the trip. So we watched Beowulf instead. Found it a bit meh, but got to have long talk with Tanja about how the version of Beowulf I read in high school was highly sanitised. I’m drowning in garlic. Time for bed.

1 comment:

Electric Chikken said...

Just think: It was the first time like, ever, that that frog ever saw you.