Monday, June 30, 2008

Carnie Fight Near Miss

So there's this house that's on my way to work. For the last week it's had a pile-o-stuff in it's front yard, near the sidewalk. Several boxes of CDs, twice that of piled books, a TV, a VCR, a broken bookcase, and 5 or six garbage bags. It basically looks like they've laid things out for the council to pick up, but have left them for the usual Newtown Removalist Group, ie passerby to pick up if they want. I've had my eye on the CDs section of this pile for a while. I pass it at least 4 times a day (to and from the gym, and to and from work).  Today, on the way back from the gym, I made my move. I began sorting through the CDs, crouching down to look through the boxes. I've been looking for about 5 minutes, when I hear the door open. There stands a pissed-off looking woman. The following conversation ensues, with her tone angry and insulted and my tone confused and wary:
Her: "What do you think you're doing?"
Me: "Oh, I was just having a look. Was I-"
"You could have knocked on the door! You've got a nerve just pawing through!"
"Uh, ok. I just thought, I mean this stuff's been here for a week, and I-"
"Well, you could have knocked!"
"Uh, ok, sorry, I mean, if this stuff not for the taking, I'll go. I'll just leave it-"
"IT'S JUST RUDE!"
"...Well-"
"These things ARE for the taking, but you should have knocked on the door!"
"Okay. I'm sorry."
"Well?"
"I said I'm sorry."
*she goes back inside*
 
So I grabbed the CDs I had picked out and went home. At first I was embarrassed, but as I got closer to home, I got angrier. I mean, if these things were so bloody precious to her, maybe she shouldn't have left them outside, when it's rained several times in the past week.  So I submitted the issue to several people at work. Marty thought that due to it being on her "verge", then I probably should have, but he agreed she overreacted.  Fair enough, but geez.
 
Sincerely, Internet's...
Lucas Brown
Now completely legal (in the states he's not banned)!
 


3 comments:

Taqwa said...

Was this what you were going to rant about a couple of posts ago?

Damn crazy newtown woman.

Electric Chikken said...

It's my understanding that this happened today.

Lucas, that thing about emailing your blog entries results in that legal-mumbo-jumbo footer. It's a great deal less interesting than the content in your actual post. Guess that's what I get for reading it.

dooga said...

I tend to leave those piles o' things on the side of the street where I found 'em. I have issues with that sort of thing. That said, if I left something out on the curb, I wouldn't expect people to ASK PERMISSION to take it, for fuck's sake.