Monday, April 24, 2006

My feet are cold.

That has nothing really to do with anything, but it's a truth. Cold.

Anyway, last week or so has been of a busyness. I've had school holidays, and Easter in the Blue Mountains (where I got a motorcycle ride with Tanja's dad, to which my father later explained to me "You know, Lucas, boys shouldn't ride with boys." Thanks Pop.) and then the Robert Cray/Buddy Guy concert on Wednesday.

I had the Plan. I was making Peurco Pibil (slow roasted pork with Mexican spice-stuff), Dave was showing up at 6 or 6:30, we eat, we drink, we take off for the concert which starts at 7:30. Of course, Dave encounters every obstacle known to man and beast in the getting here, and he doesn't arrive until 7:15. Ah well. Foods were scoffed, drinks sculled, and we were off. The show didn't actually start until 8 anyway, so we were fine for time. Turns out, though, that despite buying the tickets within 5 seconds of each other from the same distributor, David and I were both in row H, but in seats 5 and 37. we tried just sitting together, but we had angry people in my (potential) seat, so we had to make a deal with the usher. She found us two seats in the second to last row of the balcony. Sounds disastrous, right? Well, not thanks to the wonderful acoustics and design of the Enmore. We had a crippling view of the stage (thanks to their being no one in the two seats in front of us). Robert Cray came on, and he was good, better live than on CD and he usually sounds so restrained.

Then came Buddy.

Good. Lord.

Keep in mind folks, that just because Buddy Guy is classified as a blues artist, and is turning 70 this year that this was a quiet, down-home blues rendition. Not in the least. This was the guy (no pun intended) idolised by Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, and most of the names in rock today (Buddy even did a cover of "Voodoo Child which was up there with the original). The guitar work was phenomenal, and he played the crowd just as well. Who expects to laugh when they go to a concert? Not me. But I did. I laugh myself stupid. Why? Because he's a funny guy, that's why. Example, he paid tribute to John Lee Hooker as being a blues pioneer, then slyly played 30 seconds of "Boom Boom", then stopped and made a face, communicating to all that he had just encompassed Hooker's 40-odd year career in those 30 seconds. Bwa ha ha.

Anyway, it was incredible.

No comments: