Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Note: Music Not Performed By Original Artist

(reposted from the WD, minus BOQ, for those poeple who don't go there)

It's a well-known and much-mocked fact that people who live or work in close proximity to music end up with odd fetish-style interests in odd fetish-style things, often young men whose interest in music becomes more whimsical than technical or preferential. See High Fidelity for the tame examples. Other such examples: a football player who specializes in girl groups from the 1960s; an accountancy student who obsesses on Hawaiian surf guitar; a sociology dropout who works in a bookstore and is trying to assemble the complete K-Tel library from 1972 to 1976; An dreadlocked environmentalist looking for de-motivating spoken-word recordings; you get the picture.

Anyway, my obsession has been revealed.

I, Lucas, have a problem.

It's cover songs.

I love them.

I've got nearly the whole albums of Nevermind the Originals, Here's the Covers and In Their Eyes: 80s Teen Movies vs. 90s Teen Bands downloaded, Paul Anka's Rock Swings! album, as much Richard Cheese & Lounge Against the Machine and Me First & the Gimme Gimmes as I can, as well as odd live ones or soundtrack one-offs and B-sides. And I've been ogling and protecting (read: hiding it from customers) the Triple M Musical Challenge 3 and Triple J: Like a Version CDs. The rough idea for both is that a band or artist comes into the show and are asked to perform a song that they don't really know all that well, that's not from their style, in a new way. It's interesting as hell, well at least for me.

So I bought the Triple M cd. And it's bloody fantastic.

2 comments:

Electric Chikken said...

Ah, so when I can't find something I'm looking at in Borders, it's probably the staff who are responsible...I knew it :-D

Also, a well-done cover (or not so well-done, as the mood suits) is rather entertaining. I don't see what's wrong with your obsession. It's not hardly as kinky as the K-Tel freak.

Taqwa said...

Or as kinky as Phil and his *ahem* Turtle..