Wednesday, July 19, 2006

World-Class Spreadsheet Excels Itself

Another interview story. This one is for a Sales Rep job for a company that publishes Career Guides. I was keen on this one because not only was it an office-type job, but they mentioned in the ad that they wanted book store people who were looking for a leg up. Plus, they would have paid up to 40k, which is a sight more than Borders. So I show up my suit, looking snazzy (Tanja found a website that taught me how to tie my tie). Turns out, for the first time ever, I'm the best-dressed guy there as the others are fairly casual. Anyway, the interview goes good, to the point of one of the guys continually writing down my wittier quips because he liked them so much, such as "I hate using a cliche like 'get back on the horse', and every time I do, a little bit of me dies inside" and "Do you have this book that I read as a child? It had a red cover and it turned out they were twins." What? Doesn't everyone say things like this? Just while wrapping up, they mention "Oh, and even though it's not a prerequisite, do you have an Australian driver's licence?" Nope. Not a problem, says they. Anyway, they seem really keen on me, and happy to have me, and I leave the interview in a good mood. So I get a call after Tanja and I do the groceries, and it's the guy. He tells me that everyone felt really positive about my interview, and that they spoke to the woman that I'd be working under, and she brought up a point. She feels that I need to have a driver's licence, since the clients are often far away. So he calls me back and gets the bad news that if I were to get a licence, I'd have to go through my L's and my P's and driving lessons and all that. He's going to look into it, and call me back tomorrow. Bugger. They should have put "need a licence" on the ad, damnit. I never would have applied. If he calls back and tells me no without a licence, I'm going to ask if there are any other places for non-drivers, and then swallow my pride.

And I have an interview for a retail job with David Jones in the city tomorrow. Here's hoping.

2 comments:

Mme H said...

Hey Little Lucas!

Steve Buscemi (I mean Mark) is only one country away and he seems to have dropped off the face of the planet, but you're on the other side of the world and you seem to be alive and well in the internet world. I stumbled upon your blog and thought I'd drop you a quick line just to say hello. Glad you're doing well.

Take care!

Taqwa said...

Or swallow HIS pride! huh? HUH? *wiggles eyebrows* :D