Sunday, November 28, 2010

I don't think I've ever found the solution to a problem I've been having with my computer by looking online.

Lately I've had an issue on Windows Vista where anytime I rename or delete a file, the script showing "deleting" will hang on the screen after the file is gone. I'll hit cancel, and it'll sit "canceling" forever until i use task manager to close it.

I've trawled forums, I've streamlined my start-up processes, I've found no answers. One forum suggested that it was a search indexing fuction that was causing it, but when I located and stopped that process it did get rid of the script, but the next time I edit something it hangs again. Occasionally it'll affect iTunes when I'm transferring purchases back to the PC, cause that to freeze. Finally, it'll affect my Windows Movie Maker in that if I save a project and open it to edit again, the program will freeze as soon as the project is open.

Yesterday i spent 2 hours editing together video footage for a project. I saved it, but left the computer running overnight. Today, while I was at work, Tanja wanted to edit some of her iTunes playlists, but noticed the computer was running slowly, so she saved what was open and restarted. Later this evening when I tried to check on the project I had saved? Couldn't open it.

I don't even get mad anymore. I just sort of sigh. Things will fail, and no one can fix them.

3 comments:

Electric Chikken said...

I have the same problem with using compies for music stuff. At any given time, there's always been something that's not working as it should, screwing with the process. Even if I know how to fix it, it usually involves buying something that I don't want to buy (like a whole new freakin' motherboard).

I've learned to just find creative ways to work around it. Sometimes it's easier said than done, but I'm learning that it's a useful skill to have.

Lucas said...

@Ted:
Switching to Windows 7 fixed a large amount of these problems.

Electric Chikken said...

Fixed a big one that I was having with IRQ allocation for firewire devices ages ago - prevented me from using my black thing to record stuff for a long time.