Monday, April 20, 2009

Gen What?

I was slightly stunned when an ad for a new show called "Talking About My Generation" defined Gen Y as being anyone born between 1980-1995. Wow. See, I'd never considered myself a Gen Y person. Hell, the speaker at our graduation referred to us as "move over, Generation X. Here come the Dot-Com Kids." which was a moniker I kind of liked. But Gen Y? Okay. I guess. Part of what bothers me is the negative stigma associated with Gen Y, especially in the media and in business circles. The idea that Gen Y people are nigh-impossible to motivate, hate hard work, and expect to turn up and get paid as much as possible while putting in the least amount of effort as their birthright. I'm not like that. At least, I don't think I am.

Also, I find that I've been self-censoring lately in a noticeable way. Some might say that's a good thing, judging by how often I'll put my foot in my mouth. I just find it a bit worrying. I've even censored myself three times while writing this blog entry. Sigh.

1 comment:

Electric Chikken said...

Now, I'm not saying that this is even a remotely valid comparison, but...

Take Rhys. He is what happens when you don't bother with self-censorship.

Heh, heh.

I never took you for a self-censoring type, though, but now that I think about it, I guess I just mightn't be aware enough.