Sunday, August 17, 2008

Alright, fine.

I got an email from my father today. He rather abruptly accused me of cutting myself off from my family in Canada. His example was that my little sister had sent me an email last week and I had not, as of yet, responded. He also said that my responses to anyone's emails were sporadic at best.
 
To be frank, he was mad, and he was a bit rude about it, saying that I was basically saying "fuck you" to my family.
 
This is not the case. I wrote him a calm email back.
 
His email gave me an idea that I stewed over all the way to work. The idea started as a mailing list and then evolved into a new Blog. Letters. A weekly-updated blog, written in a letter format, detailing all the ins and outs of my life.
 
They want me to share? I'll share.
 
The idea isn't completely spiteful. Part of the problem I have discussing the facets of my life with my family is that they're so far removed from my day-to-day that it would take too long to explain all the background needed for them to understand.  For example, if I'm happy that I've gotten back-of-house work all week, I'd have to explain what BOH was, how it relates to my job, why it's better than my usual job and yadda yadda yadda.  With this blog, I can readdress things, build on comments made in previous weeks, and generally let them into my world a bit. I'll add pictures, maps, the whole shebang. Plus, it'll be nice for my little sister.
 
Still, I think what he did was a bit mean. I mean, my contact with Dad has been the occasional phone call and email, most of which are about how great he's doing, which, on the phone, I'll congratulate him for and, in the email form, send a reply to. There will then be nothing for weeks. Then I'll get an email like today about how he's wondering if he's on "the bad list." It's frustrating.
 
So now, it'll be up to them to keep abreast of my day-to-day.
 
*sigh*
 
Sincerely, Internet's...
Lucas Brown
Now completely legal (in the states he's not banned)!
 

3 comments:

Taqwa said...

Hahahahhaha!

I live like a 10 minute walk from half of my family, and I manage to almost never see them twice as hard!

Also, I never get any emails and rarely get a quick call. Usually to check something out.

Electric Chikken said...

Yeah. Once again, 'tis a good idea, even (or maybe especially) without the spite.

Anonymous said...

My view is: tell him to go fuck himself.

Even when he was here it was always all about him.

Passive aggressive fuck-tard.

- Tanja at work (which I why I won't log in)