Sunday, January 10, 2010

The New Year, and Resolutions of Same

I told myself (and Tanja) that this will be the years I monetise & business-ise (that's not a word, but I'm making it one) my t-shirt operation. I've been looking into getting a t-shirt press, and essentially starting to print my designs off the computer. This way I have greater detail control over the designs, and it becomes astronomically easier and quicker to print shirts (especially large orders). This press, bought from a wholesaler, costs over $1000. You can get cheaper ones from eBay for between $300 and $400, but if I'm going to be doing this right, I want to be able to afford a good one.

This lead me to the consideration that if I'm going to be spending this much (plus changing the cost structure of my enterprise from stencils, paints & brushes to sheets, ink cartridges) I need to think tax-wise. To do that, i need to be able to claim stuff and write receipts. For that, I need an ABN.

I tried to do some reasearch into this the other day and got depressed (this is partially as Tanja meantioned trademarking, copywriting & intellectual property. This tweet was my response: http://twitter.com/lokified/status/7477505890).

I need to stay focused. I've had thoughts toward buying one of the cheap shirt presses and using that as I do shirts now to get together the money to get the good press.

I've also been thinking about marketing. I think doing the Paddington Markets or whatever may not be the way to go. My thought was towards a site something like TeeFury, wherre I'll have a selection of shirts for sale. I'll continue doing the custoemr stuff, by appointment.


...

I was just about the write more, and then stopped to let my thoughts whirl around for a moment. I haven't a clue what I'm doing, or planning to do. I have tons tof ideas, but no way to actualise them.

Result of hypothesis? Further study is needed.

1 comment:

Electric Chikken said...

Awesome. I figure you'd need a website for something like this*. I'll plug it to all my friends. Promise.

*This is me being 'helpful'.