Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Watching Men

I’m not going to spoil. Promise. I’m not even going to dissect. The only thing I didn’t like about the film is that they’ve basically given the various heroes superpowers without stating it to be so. They’re meant to be good fighters (even scarily so, in Adrian’s case), but they’re not supposed to be leaping up to the second story or, in one egregious case near the beginning, pressing a huge guy up over their head and throwing them in a way that a wrestler would have difficulty doing. It took me out of the film.

Also, I played the demo Watchmen downloadable game for PS3, which was an okay beat-em-up in the style of Ultimate Alliance, but without the squad aspect. What got me about the game, though, was it had new writing, comic panels, and a narration from the guy who played Rorschach in the movie. Listening to it, I realised something: Sin City is like a whole movie/Comic Book series written/starring characters like this. No wonder I like the Sin City movie less and less each time I watch it.

On a completely unrelated note, I can barely watch the Transformers movie now, despite it looking lovely on an HDTV and played on a PS3. The plot just seems full of holes and meandering, and the stuff with Anthony Anderson and Sam’s parents just grates and then… yeah.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you're right about the "super-powers-without-saying-they-have-superpowers" thing, although this movie (and the comic) was set in a hyper-reality where Nixon was still president in 1985, and a cat with huge ears appears without any explanation. Snyder just cherrypicked the moments where the coolness outweighed the reality.

I totally need to see it again.

Electric Chikken said...

Hey, I saw this last night. I liked it, probably mostly because Adrian made an awesome antagonist. The superpower thing didn't bother me - I wasn't actually looking out for fancy crap anyway (I'm not familiar with that universe at all, see) so when it did come along, it was nice that they got it out of the way quickly. Yeah, I'm sorry. Superpowers bore me at this point, as they just seem to be there to take the attention away from the goofy costumes. Again, sorry. Although...

...Speaking of superpowers, what I did like was how believably Dr. Manhattan was represented, after taking into account the fact that he's almost godlike in his power. They did a good job of making his attitude believable, although I'm not sure the specifics of how it came about in the film make sense to me. But whatever.

...

But what the hell was that machine he was building on Mars? The world's largest wind-up watch?

He'd probably do well to put it on a world where there's at least one other wind-up watch, then, otherwise the record mightn't seem that big a deal.

Lucas said...

Dooga: The cat was explained in the book as a result of Adrian's genetic muckng-about, which was part of the original ending. But yes. Rule of cool presiding.

Ted: Yeah, Adrian was an awesome enemy, but h was leess of a Bond Villian in the book. His reveal was much more of a shock-surprise. And what he built on Mars was just an example of him trying to create something perfect, which of course, fell apart the minute something human and alive got involved.