Friday, June 29, 2007

Transformovie.

I saw Transformers with Adrian, Craig, Ted, Damo, and Adrian's non-nerd boytoy (who looked slightly uncomfortable with all the geekery).

WOW!

Very glad I saw it on the big screen. Big with the action. It was the first film I've seen where people spontaneouesly cheered at several points throughout the film (main title, Optimus Prime's first sighting in truck mode, and Megatron's ass-kicking first line "I...am Megatron!")

THE GOOD:

[-] Heavy on the robo-action. Thank fuck.

[-] Heavy on the feeling, depsite the slight cheesiness of the writing. For example, when one of the Autobots (won't say who) is killed (and when I say killed, I mean grabbed by arms and legs and ripped in fucking half.) my jaw dropped and I gasped loudly exactly as I did when I was 5, seeing Brawn shot by Megatron in the first TF movie. I turned to Adrian and saw the exact same look on his face. Whoa.
[-] "One shall stand, one shall fall." GOOSEBUMPS.

[-] Frenzy! Despite his slightly alien look and wierd, Ewok-like speech, the little bugger kicked a ridiculous amount of ass and had the highest bodycount of all the Decepticons bar Megatron. Oh, and for those of you who aren't Adrian or me, here's the difference:

Old Frenzy




New Frenzy










[-] Bumblebee as Camero worked surprisingly well. I didn't miss the Vee-Dub at all.

[-] "It seems you have failed me again, Starscream." Bwa ha ha ha.

[-] Geeking out with Craig and Adrian afterwards.

[-] Lots of other stuff too.


THE BAD
[-] The amount of moving parts of the robot forms (most of which were steel grey), made it hard to distinguish an detail when two of the robots were fighting. They're just a smush of blurred motion.
[-] The pigeon-holing of African-American-street-culture-through-the-filter-of-white-suburban-writers grated on me. For example, instead of Jazz using outdated, near-beatnik phrasing as he did in the show, he talked like Fifty-Cent. Despite it being a funny scene, I could have lived the rest of my life without have heard Optimus Prime say "My bad."
[-] So much military stock footage. It seemed the first half of the movie was tanks, planes and jeeps driving and flying around.
[-] Decepticons, for the most part, looked great, but went down like pussies in three seconds. Except Starscream. Who disappeared for 20-minute stretches, then showed up, then disappeared again.

Oh, and the Simpsons trailer. Gotta see that. Go Spider-Pig!

5 comments:

Taqwa said...

Oh, maybe i missed it, but i couldn't for the life of me work out who that was meant to be. Made me think Soundwave when he kept turning into that boom-box, but i thought maybe rumble for some reason or other..

Lucas said...

The boombox was meant to be soundwave, but by the time they were done with the design, it was so far from Soundwave that, it being too manic for the slacker Rumble, they gave it to Frenzy. And he got to be cool.

dooga said...

Maybe turning into the boombox was a little nod to the cartoon? There were tonnes of those in the movie.

Frenzy was cool! He did kick a lot of ass for a little robot. Seeing him sneaking along the tarmac when everyone was running around looking for an alien was too funny.

And the moment where Megatron ripped an Autobot in half? I was genuinely shocked. They're on less sports-car down when the sequel comes out.

Michael Bay has always used African Americans as light comic relief or to add to the body count in his movie. I didn't think anyone else noticed.

Taqwa said...

crI've noticed that about almost every war film though, the black dude always gets killed. Usually first.

Electric Chikken said...

Yeah, funny as it was, it was a little predictable. Jazz went down, yellin' and cursin' all the way. Typical.