Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Nostalgia again (video games, though, not music)

After picking up a faulty Timesplitters2 disc from the video store, I got a credit for a free game rental. Against all odds I grabbed Virtua Fighter 4. Now, I owned Virtua Fighter 1 on Sega Saturn (and eventually Virtua Fighter 2, but I’ll get to that later) and I played the crap out of it. The graphics were shitty by today’s standards, but it was the first 3d fighting game, and also the first in a long time to involve no “magic” attacks. Yep, no fireballs or flying, just hard hitting, realistically portrayed martial arts moves. Fun freakin’ times. Later, I picked up Virtua Fighter 2 and never played the first one again. Same gameplay, MUCH improved graphics and the addition of Shun-di (an old drunken-style kung fu master, funny shit) and Lion, a cocky-as-hell French Praying Mantis style… guy, who rapidly became my new favourite.

Anyway.

New one. Graphics are Tekken-level, each character has several “stances” where the same combinations produce different attacks, and I am loving it. My thumb is hurting already and it’s only been a day. Plus they’ve added a Shaolin monk guy who doesn’t attack much. He lets you attack, then deflects it and hurts you. A lot. Although there is a downside. The graphics got better, but the bottom dropped out on the vocal work. Lion sounds like Wheelie for Transformers, or Igner, Mom’s youngest son from Futurama. Did you lot learn nothing from SSX Tricky? At least bring in Bif Naked, David Arquette and Billy Zane to record!

But I can put up with it to watch Lion leap onto someone’s back, strike their eyes, throat, and break their neck.

What?!? I’m portraying my geek status for all to see!

4 comments:

Electric Chikken said...

Hot damn! It's just occurred to me that you're talking about a series that's over 10 years old. Until now, I never imagined a 3D game as something to get nostalgic over.

This is making me feel old. I'ma gonna have a lie down.

Taqwa said...

Uhh.. he's kind of in canadia just now, so i wouldn't expect a reply anytime soon :D

Bout time you showed yourself somewhere though.. update your blog dammit!

Electric Chikken said...

Yeah, they don't have the Internet in Canada...

Also, yes, Anna, update. Let us know what is happening, I thought you'd totally changed your identity and fled the country to escape us.

Electric Chikken said...

And before I forget. Yo, Lucas! Not only have you not updated in quite a while, but Insprite hasn't been touched for months. GRR!