Thursday, December 09, 2010

The Pusher.

I'm sick of having interests that are diverse and oddball enough that when I get a reaction to something, I can't talk about it unless I force that thing onto them and then press them for a conversation.

I first felt this feeling after going to see My Disco with Ted. I name dropped the band at work to local metal/odd-ball music people that I talk to and no one knew it. I assumed that, as it was one of Ted's bands, it'd be known to people who like Teddish tunes like Godspeed You Black Emperor and such. The one person who seemed interested recieved a burned CD from me and he didn't like it.

It's similar to when I try to talk about Scott Pilgrim to some people and they go "Oh, yeah, I read that." and I gush and start talking about the fact that I love it. And the person goes "Yeah, it was okay. I just read the first one." Argh.

I'm not saying people shouldn't have their own opinions, far from it. I just wish that sometimes those opinions would match or at least be nearish to mine without my having to forcefeed them to people.

So anyway.

I was disappointed with the last trade of Ex Machina. It was the series conclusion and it was unsatisfying.

If you don't know Ex Machina, I am not the least bit surprised.

It would not be worth my explaining the premise or anything. I probably wouldn't convince you to try it. Even then, you might hate it.

edit: That being said, in the last month I've had two great conversations, one with a guy at work, and one with my boss, about my love of insects, and nature in general (which lead to the loaning of Bill Fitzhugh's "Pest Control" to Joe, and Rick's highly recommending Attenborough's Planet Earth to me. So I could easily be full of shit.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I have heard of Ex Machina and I've read up to I think it was Vol. 4--- I had heard that the last one was not too great, which is a shame because I really enjoyed The First 100 Days and the others...the names elude me at the moment. I think that I need to dig them out and give them a reread. :)

Julie

Dooga said...

I always thought the idea of liking something that is not widely known about or liked, is to enjoy that thing almost as your own.

I know with Scott Pilgrim, I have read all the graphic novels you got me, and while I don't "hate" it, I just don't respond to it in the way that you and other Pilgrim fans do. Maybe the work just didn't speak to me in the exact way that it does for everyone who dug it.

Having said that, I continually try to foist British comedy onto you, and your reactions are much like mine to Scott Pilgrim - you're polite about it but it's not your bag.

Lucas said...

Dooga: I had that feeling too, with knowing things and the enjoyment of keeping them to myslef, but lately I've so many things like that it becomes like I have this library of stuff no one knows about in my brain and I start wondering what the point of having all this knowledge is if you can't share it. Which is another, more drunk conversation.

Unknown said...

It’s a great thing to even have that knowledge and share it with someone because there is always a chance that it will resonate with them. And if it doesn’t -- you are still able to have that connection and a few drinks!!! ☺ Obscure books and films are a fantastic way of expanding horizons and taking that dangerous step off the road and onto an overgrown trail… Many people won’t do that on their own and having a conversation with someone who does know what they are talking about might just be what they need to explore other genres and ideas--even if it is just for a short time.

Electric Chikken said...

I reckon it's much more worthwhile having knowledge of things that are a little esoteric. There's rarely any substance to a conversation where two people are talking about something in which they have similar opinions/viewpoints/levels of experience in the subject.