Sunday, September 07, 2008

Day 2, Mountain Time

So this morning was Father’s Day, and upon giving Tanja’s father a bottle of imported French Calvados (apple brandy) that I suggested and picked out, it dawned on me: I think I like giving people well-chosen presents more than I like getting well-chosen presents.

Does that make me some sort of pinko-commie?

Thinking back, though, I’ve always like giving presents, even when I didn’t have much money. At university, I got little things for my various friends (despite being taken aside by one of them, and being told I didn’t have to “buy their love.” Which was totally not the point). I knew that most of them were equally as not-well-off as was, and a little something would brighten their day.

So yeah. When people say “Don’t make a big thing out of my birthday”, it just gets me planning. I’ve even, marvel of marvels after some very rocky starts, gotten halfway decent at choosing things for Tanja.

I know some psychiatrist would be able to pick this apart, saying that I equate possessions to love, but that’s totally not it. I like the look on people’s faces when they open/receive something that is suited for them and that they didn’t expect.

Man. I am a pinko-commie.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think you equate possessions to love.

I think you like making people happy.

I know I am one of the hardest people in the world to make happy (or at least to keep happy).

But no one has ever done this better than you do.

With or without presents.

- Tanja (who is at work)

Taqwa said...

And girth.

Electric Chikken said...

...is this entry a reaction to me telling you not to mention my birthday to anyone?

Anonymous said...

I keep forgetting that I let the cat out of the bag. :)

I wasn't referring to the 'girth' either...but now that you mention it, it does help. :)

If not at 2am in the morning.....

- Tanja