Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Guess what happened to us tonight?

So... we had someone try to break into our flat tonight. Well, I say break in, more like saunter in. We're on the third floor, and we had our balcony door open. Tanja (bless her incredibly light-sleeping little cotton socks), heard a sharp click (that, in her half-dreamy stupor, she thought was the coffee pot, domestic thing her) which was his flashlight. She saw the curtains move, and the light shine in. She poked me and woke me up and frantically whispered that she thought there was someone in the house. I got up, and snuck into the next room, and saw a shadow staning on the balcony. Summoning my best housemaster what-the-fuck-are-you-doing voice, I bellowed "EXCUSE ME!", and I heard him scramble away, and he then leapt off the balcony hitting the railing and, after a moment, the edge of the car ramp into the garage. I ducked outside onto the balcony, and he was walking away. I got a look at the guy, but not a good one: shaved head, black hoodie, jeans, young white guy. Nothing was taken (my iPod was right there on the table, within an arm's reach of the door, but he didn't see it, I guess). We called 0-0-0, and got an impatient snarky woman who told us that if we didn't need police right then, then to call Directory Assistance and get the number from them, before hanging up. I waited a blink, then called again, and got a much more helpful guy. He sent a couple of cops out. They found the place without trying too hard (see, Ted? It can be done) and took my statement and details. They were shocked he didn't take the iPod, and twice as surprised that he jumped. The guy-cop was hopeful that the "bloke had maybe snapped a few ligaments on the way down, eh? Or maybe broke 'is leg?" He sounded hopeful. Heh. On the way out, a call came in about a guy in black shirt and red pants stealing a mobile phone near King Street (about two blocks from here). same guy? Who knows.

It's now 5:29 am, 45 minutes since it happened and neither of us can sleep. Tanja's got the over-talking "stupids" as she calls them.

We're so hitting the landlord up for some security flyscreens. And a deadbolt.

And maybe he can fix the dishwasher while he's here.

3 comments:

Tanja aka Tanjerine said...

I do not have the stupids!

Oh, and worst moment ever???

When he asked for Lucas' date of birth and I winced when he said 82. And then he asked me for mine and I had to say 72. He didn't even blink but I bet they had a giggle on their way back to the car.

And the female cop was impressed that I woke up at the sound of a click of a flash light.

Oh, and stupid, stupid who sleeps in the bathroom in her kitty basket, right next to the balcony???? We didn't hear a peep out of that one! First thing she knew is when we turned all the lights on and started wandering around. Then I heard a sleepy little 'meow' in there.

And the cops gave us a raised eyebrow when we admitted that we sleep with both balcony doors wide open.

Hey, I need fresh air! Apparantly not to sleep, but in order to lie awake watching curtains move and lights flash into our apartment.

It was just a wee bit creepy.

And would actually have been creepier if there had been no one there, so.....yay for logical explanations to Tanja's neck hair standing on end.

Meghan said...

T - He didn't even blink but I bet they had a giggle on their way back to the car.

Are you kidding me? They were more likely saying, "That guy's one lucky sunuvabitch! Not only did he land himself a hot older woman - she's a self-contained security system!"

Taqwa said...

Hey, i found it without too much trouble.. well.. after i worked out i'd taken the wrong turn-off...

You shoulda just snuck up on him and given him a good thunking with a heavy book or something.. maybe even just thrown the cat at him..